Mid-Atlantic Summit Compendium of Resources
Please click the article titles below for more information on the Course Corrections: Mid-Atlantic Summit on Behavioral Health & Criminal Justice. Review the March 22 & 23 Event Agenda.
Keynote: Sheriff Thomas J. Dart, Cook County Sheriff, Cook County, IL
Sheriff Thomas Dart has made national news as a law enforcement reformer working to end the over-incarceration of the mentally ill through an array of interventions. See Sheriff Dart’s Mental Health Template.
Sheriff Dart gave the Keynote address at the Course Corrections: Mid-Atlantic Summit on Behavioral Health and Criminal Justice at the National Association of Counties on March 22, 2017.
Sheriff Tom Dart has lived a life dedicated to effecting change, protecting the unprotected and fighting for social justice.
After serving the community as a prosecutor and state legislator, Sheriff Dart ran for Cook County Sheriff in 2006 on a promise of using this platform to advocate on behalf of the most vulnerable and neglected communities. In the ensuing years, he has fulfilled that promise by enacting meaningful social justice reforms, and has rewritten the book on what a Sheriff can accomplish.
In particular, Sheriff Dart’s restorative justice vision has reduced the number of non-violent offenders detained at Cook County Jail – the largest in the nation – while spreading awareness nationally of the ongoing criminalization of mental illness. In 2015, he worked to enact the Rocket Docket into law, which has resulted in the faster disposition of retail theft and criminal trespassing cases through the system.
In 2009, TIME Magazine named Sheriff Dart one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World, thanks to his groundbreaking efforts.
See Vice Magazine's coverage of the Cook County mental health crisis and interview with Sheriff Dart
Spotlight: Housing First & Supportive Housing
- Christy Respress, MSW, Executive Director, Pathways to Housing, District of Columbia @ChristyRespress | @PathwaysDC
- Tommy Joe Bednar, Diversion Coordinator, Homeward @HomewardVA; Chair, Criminal Justice & Homelessness Working Group, Virginia Governor’s Council on Homelessness
Spotlight: Access to Coverage & Care
- Frankie Berger, Director of Advocacy, Treatment Advocacy Center @TreatmentAdvCtr
- Frankie Berger's Presentation
- Read TAC's report, Emptying the New Asylums: A Bed Capacity Model to Reduce Mental Illness Behind Bars
- See the SIM Map from Frankie's Presentation.
- Watch a roundtable discussion between mental health and criminal justice experts including Miami-Dade County Judge Steve Leifman on TAC's bed capacity model.
Spotlight: Education & Employment Support
- Katherine Mereand-Sinha, Program Manager of Tech & Innovation, @SmallBizDC DC Department of Small & Local Business Development; ASPIRE: Incarceration to Incorporation
- Read more about the ASPIRE pilot program
- Marianne Ali, Director of Culinary Training, DC Central Kitchen @DCCK
- DC Reentry Task Force #DC463
- Free Minds Book Club @FreeMindsDC
- Tara Libert, Co-Founder & Executive Director @TaraLibert
- Julia Mascioli, Communications & Development Director @Julia_Mascioli
- Visit & comment on their Poetry Blog!
- Read about Developing Culturally Responsive Approaches (Cultural Competency).
- Read the Department of Health & Human Services' Mental Health: Culture, Race, and Ethnicity Supplemental Report.
Spotlight: Financial Restructuring/Innovation
- Claudia Schlosberg, J.D., Senior Deputy/Medicaid Director, Department of Health Care Finance, Washington, DC @DCHealthCareFin
Spotlight: Public Safety & Corrections Officer Training & Transformation
- Law Enforcement Action Partnership
- Major Neill Franklin, Ret., Executive Director @NeillFranklin
- Richard N. Van Wickler, Chairman of the Board; @RNV1978 Superintendent, Cheshire County Department of Corrections, Keene, NH
- Kevin P. Morison, Director of Program Management, Police Executive Research Forum @KevinMorison
Spotlight: Interactive Systems Transformation
- David Freeman, Psy.D., Chief Clinical Officer, Community Connections, Inc. @CCDC1ofaKind
- See Dr. Freeman's Presentation on Interactive Systems Transformation
- Sheriff Stacey A. Kincaid, Fairfax County Sheriff’s Office, Fairfax County, VA @FairfaxSheriff
- Evan Behrle, Special Assistant to Chiefs of Staff, Baltimore City Health Department @BMore_Healthy
Spotlight: Legal Priorities
- Emily Tatro, Esq., Policy Analyst, Council for Court Excellence @EmilyTatro | @CCE_for_DC
- Tammy Seltzer, Esq., Director, DC Jail & Prison Advocacy Project, University Legal Services @Tammy_Seltzer
- John Clark, Senior Manager, Technical Assistance, Pretrial Justice Institute @Pretrial
Spotlight: Policy Priorities
- Marc Mauer, Executive Director, The Sentencing Project @SentencingProj
- Ron Honberg, Senior Advisor, Policy & Advocacy, National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) @NAMIPolicyWonk | @NAMICommunicate
- National Disability Rights Network @NDRNAdvocates
- Diane Smith-Howard, Esq., Senior Staff Attorney @DianeSmitHoward
- Eric Buehlmann, Deputy Executive Director of Public Policy
Spotlight: March 23 Presentations
- Mannone A. Butler, Esq., Executive Director, District of Columbia Criminal Justice Coordinating Council @DC_CJCC
- See Mannone's presentation.
- Read CJCC's 2016 Annual Report.
- Patrick Fox, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, Colorado Department of Human Services @CO_CDHS
- See Dr. Fox's presentation on medication consistency.
- Read Colorado Senate Bill 2017-19 Concerning Medication Consistency.
- Sheriff Michael Chapman, Loudon County Sheriff’s Office, Loudoun County, VA @LoudounSheriff
- Learn more about how Sheriffs are Addressing the Mental Health Crisis in Communities & Jails
Additional Resources by Region:
On American Psychological Association's Consensus Workgroup on Behavioral Health Issues in Criminal Justice Medicaid Funded Supportive Housing The event was hosted by the National Association of Counties. @NACoTweets Read more about NACo's efforts: NACo's Stepping Up Initiative and Justice and Public Safety Services.
Return to Course Corrections: Mid-Atlantic Summit on Behavioral Health & Criminal Justice. View the Mid-Atlantic Course Corrections Document. Explore our Course Corrections Colorado Compendium. Explore our SMI & the Death Penalty Compendium.